[talk-au] Mapping railway lines

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Wed Oct 7 09:30:26 BST 2009

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, John Henderson wrote:
> Has anyone had success using a GPS unit inside a metal railway carriage
> to map a railway line?
>
> I notice that parts of the main line between Sydney and Melbourne are
> missing, eg:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-34.7446&lon=147.886&zoom=14&layers=B000F
>TF
>
> I'd consider doing the trip on the XPT if someone has proven it's viable.
>
> And I've also had to move the railway line aside quite a distance when
> accurately adding roads in the Yass area.

I drew in railway line from landsat (hopefully that was marked as source) and
lined it up with crossings and bridges.
If you have better data, please move the railway.

I haven't managed to get a trace on any railway because I seem to be limited
to walk, bike, car, plane.
If anyone knows someone who drives trains out of from Junee we could get them
to use a GPS a few times.