[talk-au] Adding highway=road from property boundary centreline geography

Brendan Morley morb.gis at beagle.com.au
Thu Oct 8 11:55:57 BST 2009

Sam,

May I respectfully disagree?

A reason I'm putting in "highway=road" ways is that even though I may never have the petrol or time to get out to most of these places, others might.  And if
others might, they may have a GPS logger.  If they do, great, they can adjust my naive centreline ways to the true geography of the street.  If not, they can still
contribute by tagging my generic ways with the on-site name or adjust the "highway=" tag.

Having the "highway=road" ways pre-populated means the field mappers only need to carry around the OSM way files with them rather than a full property
boundary dataset.

I have a cheap and cheerful eee PC to assist in my field mapping.  The difference in the dataset size pretty much made the difference in whether I can fit it on
the eee PC.

Brendan

--Original Message Text---
From: Sam Vekemans
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 13:00:43 -0700

Cool,

Just one comment.  If it was me working on it, i would hesitate on adding in roads where they are 'estimated' because it is not known as a fact.  Once all the
property boundaries are in there, i think that will cause a natural 'growth' in OSM activity, and people would want to help out ... by going along that way with a
GPS, and getting some tracks.  so not even listing a highway=road, might be the best way to go.  IMO

Once a few tracks (even 1 will do) whoever is tracing there own tracks will have a 'guide' to work with already.   This way, we will know for sure that roads exist
where they do in real-life.
It will also give an opportunity for that local area mapper to add in other POI along the way. :-)

Another note, is bigtincan hosting a planet-dump and diff/load for your slippy map?

... and what do you think of my way of conducting the import (just making the .osm files available (hosting them on mediafire.com), and letting local are
mappers drop-in the data at their leisure? and organizing it all with a Googledocs chart?   (itching for feedback here)
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Am70fsptsPF2dG1ZN1YwMmZCVDhDOHZpbUNmOGlvWGc&hl=en

.. and BTW, bigtincan is awesome :-)

Is BTC mapper going to add Garmin Maps to that list?

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails

P.S.  Yup, i knew that the government would open up, it was just a matter of time.  :-)  ... i guess the rest of the common wealth countries might be next.   Only, if
the Queen says so. ;)
http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/licence.jsp  (Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada (Canada) as represented by the Minister of Natural Resources
Canada.)

Twitter: @Acrosscanada