[talk-au] Routable Garmin Maps

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Thu Oct 15 20:39:23 BST 2009

Nick Hocking wrote:

> Thanks,   I still don't know what I was doing wrong but I can now show
> this to some people at work who are showing a lot of interest, in
> openstreepmap, hence my  other questions about navit and gosmore.

Using routable maps to suggest routes across town is a great way of
finding things that need to be fixed.

> They were also very interested in whether we had speed limits on all the
> roads.

There's very little of that in my neck of the woods.  And few multi-lane
divided road sections have a lane count specified.  I've read that the
"lanes=n" tag on these can influence routing.

> There are still some roads  between the highway and Yass valley way to
> be mapped but I only dive dirt roads these days just prior to a service
> of my car so that they can replace all the air filters etc.

There's a lot to be done, all over the place.  I'm retired, and have an
older friend who likes to have a weekly drive from Canberra into the
country.  We take his SUV, and he appreciates making a positive
contribution by seeking out and mapping a couple of new roads each trip.

He has a Garmin GPS in his car, and finds the OSM maps I provide him
much more accurate than the official Garmin/Sensis maps.  These are
often out by hundreds of metres on dirt roads, as well as being out-of-date.

Sometimes I go back alone to do the more tedious "fill in" of roads
which are residential, or don't in the direction we want.

John