[talk-au] Draft association rules + LC page

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 11:30:11 BST 2009

2009/10/16 Alex (Maxious) Sadleir <maxious at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 7:04 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was asked this off list because the draft rules didn't stipulate,
>> but the current draft is based on the Model Rules published by the
>> Dept of Fair Trading NSW.
>>
> Looks good. I just had some questions on process: point 21.9 says
> "Meetings may, unless a Special Resolution has been proposed, be held
> by telecommunication or other electronic means." (suggesting Special
> Resolutions must be held in a more traditional manner) and then point

I think Special Resolution meetings almost never get held, and are
mostly for dispute resolution which may make more sense to be held in
person, although the majority of that rule is simply to state that
most/all meetings will be held electronically except by special
circumstance.

> 32 asserts that a proxy may be appointed. Is it likely that if a
> Special Resolution meeting was required to be held, a quorum of
> members (or representatives of members) would be able to meet?

See below...

> I also note that point 33.2 "All votes must be given personally or by
> proxy but no member may hold more than five proxies." would mean that
> for 16 members to vote unanimously, 3 people would have to hold those
> proxies. I am assuming that a member must vote the same as the proxies
> they hold, so for a vote with disagreement more people may be
> required?

Virtually all of sections 32 and 33 is from the model rules, and there
is additional literature on the NSW DFT website on how to run an
association.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Cooperatives_and_associations/Associations.html