[talk-au] When does a road become a track?

Mark Pulley mrpulley at lizzy.com.au
Tue Oct 20 06:16:31 BST 2009

This might sound like a silly question, but I was wondering if there
is any guidance on when a road becomes a track. I've been driving on
dirt roads since I first learnt to drive, so I might tag a way
highway=unclassified surface=unsealed, where someone who has always
lived in a capital city might see the same road and tag it
highway=track tracktype=grade2. I'm particularly thinking of roads
through forests (in particular of a road near Mt Canobolas, Orange
NSW), some are in good enough condition to definitely call a proper
road but others aren't as well maintained, narrower, more eroded. I
haven't got any sample pictures (was busy driving!)

For those interested, the location I'm thinking of is here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-33.3897&lon=148.994&zoom=13&layers=null
(click on edit the show GPS traces - the GPS trace with no way
currently present is where I'm thinking about the tagging).

Mark P.
"They offered to transport me back to any point in history that I would
  care to go, and so I had them send me back to last Thursday night, so
  I could pay my phone bill on time."
  (Weird Al Yankovic, "Everything You Know Is Wrong")