[talk-au] When does a road become a track?

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Tue Oct 20 06:28:43 BST 2009

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Mark Pulley wrote:
> This might sound like a silly question, but I was wondering if there
> is any guidance on when a road becomes a track. I've been driving on
> dirt roads since I first learnt to drive, so I might tag a way
> highway=unclassified surface=unsealed, where someone who has always
> lived in a capital city might see the same road and tag it
> highway=track tracktype=grade2. I'm particularly thinking of roads
> through forests (in particular of a road near Mt Canobolas, Orange
> NSW), some are in good enough condition to definitely call a proper
> road but others aren't as well maintained, narrower, more eroded. I
> haven't got any sample pictures (was busy driving!)
a couple of weeks ago some rural mappers were in favour of your scheme.
can i drive my car on it easily - road
am i crawling along avoiding obstacles and wishing i had brought  my mountain
bike  - track

i don't grade tracks
(personal belief only, if someone else wishes to spend time doing grading
that's fine, but the condition of the surface varies according to when the
council last graded, rain etc)