[talk-au] When does a road become a track?

swanilli swanilli at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 07:12:18 BST 2009

I have tired to find some official definitions to clarify this.

Here is the Australian Standard definition of a road from AS 1348—2002 "Road
and traffic engineering—Glossary of terms":

road: Route trafficable by motor vehicles; in law, the public right-of-way
between boundaries of adjoining property

In other words, a road is pubic land between two properties, whatever it is
surfaced with so a fire trail completely within a State Forest would not not
be a road. Track is not defined in AS 1348. In fact, when track is
mentioned, it is in relation to railway tracks (the steel things) or the
track of a vehicle (width between the wheels).

Just to confuse matters, this is what the NSW Department of Environment,
Climate Change and Water says about tracks in National Parks:

"So what's the difference between a *trail *and a *track*? Trails are
generally only one lane wide and aren't covered with gravel or any other
form of road surface. You can walk or cycle on them. If a trail is open to
vehicles, it will often be suitable for 4WDs only.

Walking *tracks *are for walkers only. Some are only wide enough for
single-file walking; others allow three people to walk comfortably
side-by-side. Higher-standard tracks, usually in areas visited by many
people, may be surfaced with gravel, tarmac or boardwalks."

Here is a pragmatic solution based on AS 1348 and OSM custom:

highway=road if it is open to the public and located between property
boundaries, regardless of surface.

If it is within a property (including National Parks and State Forests):

   - unsealed: highway=track
      - sealed: highway=service

Cheers.