[talk-au] ?WinCE program

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Tue Oct 20 12:53:24 BST 2009

Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> does anyone know if gosmore or navit or other program can be persuaded to work
> on one of these machines?

I don't know that much about WinCE, but I think software isn't portable
between platforms even on the same chip architecture (eg, ARM). You'd
need an SDK or appropriately configured cross-compiler, and those can
probably only be (easily) supplied by the device manufacturer.

You could just try this:

http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Compiling_Navit_for_WinCE/WinMobile

I don't know how you'd execute the program once you had it compiled.

If you can identify the hardware well enough you may be able to run
Linux on it, and after that you can compile anything that runs on Linux.
Pull the cover off and look for some markings on the main board and plug
them in to Google. Next, try the markings on the biggest chips on the
board. If you're lucky someone will have already done it and there will
be instructions.

You're probably not going to be able to get any of these things working
though. Most of the time messing with these dinky embedded systems takes
a good deal of knowledge and often an oscilliscope and/or soldering iron.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au