[talk-au] Garmin Handheld with osm and shonkymaps

Ben benedikt at cortado.de
Fri Oct 23 06:27:34 BST 2009

Thanks for the quote from the Garmin site.

So.. if you log at the smallest interval possible (1 sec), you will
produce about 12MB of tracklogs per 24 hours.
In theory, 12GB is enough space for ]~1000 24-hour-days, but in fact the
file system used by Garmin is (or was?) limiting the number of files
that can be written into a single folder to 255.
A new tracklog is started at least every day, but also on every
switch-off/on. During "normal" usage, logging is over after 3 or 4 months.
As far as I remember, you are not notified about that on the device, it
just stops logging.
Only carrying a laptop or any other device to modify the SDCard helps.
In this case, moving the data to another folder on the card does the trick.

Another problem: the inability on those Garmin devices to show all track
data you log.
You can save 20 logs, and they can be shown on the device in addition to
the current tracklog, but you cant display all your tracklogs without
converting them into an IMG-overlay.
Depending on the chosen log interval, 20 saved logs can be used up
quickly, and it requires manual interaction in certain time intervals.
If you rely on those tracklogs to find your way back a few days  later
(or even hours later if you log on 1sec and forget to save manually),
you could get a problem..

Id love to find a way around this, but until now, the above mentioned
conversion is the only one I found.

-Ben