[talk-au] Garmin Handheld with osm and shonkymaps

Fri Oct 23 09:11:05 BST 2009

In my experience shonkymaps is pretty terrible for bushwalking - it's just
not accurate enough (as it is compiled from 1:250k map data.) It will of
course depend on the area you are going to - download shonkymaps and have a
look at it before you by your gps.

Shonkymaps is ok for vehicle navigation, but beware that the maps are not
"routable" - as in the gps cannot say turn left 500m because the data to
link the roads together is not in shonkymaps (and cannot realistically be
built in to it.)

I have a garmin colorado 300 with shonkymaps and osm routable from
http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Works great, although I did have some troubles with the first colorado I had
- garmin swapped it for a new one for me.

~Cameron