[talk-au] How to tag a non-existent road

swanilli swanilli at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 22:46:12 GMT 2009

I agree with Graeme Wilson.

OSM should not include non-existent roads. The only convincing argument I
have seen put so far by the minority who want to show them is that it will
save other mappers from wasted time. Given that mappers are the minority and
people like Graeme in the majority I think it is there needs that should be
given priority.

Further, there is still the unresolved problem of what to tag these roads.
"Non-existent" is unhelpful and ambiguous as many people have pointed out
here. As far as I am concerned "non-existent roads" are in the same category
as childrens' "imaginary friends", important to the individual but not of
much interest to anyone else.

Let's face it. There is so much that really does exist left to be mapped we
hardly need to put effort, particularly given the problems, into what does
not.