[talk-au] Vote on "highway=nonexistent"

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 13:16:03 GMT 2009

2009/10/27 Graeme Wilson <wanderer55 at live.com.au>:
> I would definitely agree with highway=disused, I find plenty of them, but if
> it is to be displayed, then can it be a significant colour and/or thickness
> and/or dashed line or whatever to indicate disused.

You'd have to work how how these should be displayed, if at all, and
then file a bug to get the main OSM maps to render it that way, I can
help with testing if they people feel they should be rendered.

> What I do find a lot of, particularly in very old, small towns is that the
> basic layout is straight streets and right angle intersections, and many of
> these towns physically dont have the outer most streets, ie never existed,
> or are barely visible wheel tracks. (or fenced off by locals and running
> goats and chooks etc) but they exist on the Garmin Nuvi - whereis.com
> thingie and this is what I want OSM to avoid. The level of map I need is
> just a mud map with only what really exists.

They should only be displayed in editors, or in custom rendered maps
that want these to show, they shouldn't render normally as most maps
should only display things that really exist.

> Going back a bit, could gazetted roads that dont exist or are yet to be made
> be coloured/thickness altered/dashed or signified differently if they are
> going to be displayed.

I don't think anyone wants these to render on a regular map, but
several of us want them to be in the OSM database so then it comes
back to filing bugs against editors to have them shown in a particular
way, but that's a different issue.

I have made custom map rendering in the past, I made a map style sheet
that displays coloured post code boundaries but doesn't show any other
regular map features.

http://maps.bigtincan.com/?z=4&ll=-28.228,134.963&layer=00B000000TT

This was to help with doing post codes boundaries and was a special case.