[talk-au] Fwd: Re: [OSM-talk] RR8 - Possible International Vandal

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Fri Sep 4 11:44:02 BST 2009

Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] RR8 - Possible International Vandal
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009
From: Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>

On 4 Sep 2009, at 10:28, Liz wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, Mike Harris wrote:
>> Peter
>>
>> Excellent summary - very well balanced. I would get particularly
>> suspicious
>> of motivation where there was no response to courteous attempts to
>> get in
>> touch to discuss.
> again general agreement
>>
>> Slight word of caution on the thought of not being expert in both
>> 'Ireland'
>> and 'Iceland' for example. I hope to be just as competent (or not!)
>> when on
>> vacation in 'Peru' as when near home base in 'Algeria' - although I
>> would
>> be more cautious when on vacation (no local knowledge) I would hope
>> that
>> the gpx traces would be as good and - hopefully - as useful and my
>> level of
>> experience (or not!) much the same.
> some of us are involved in long distance mentoring and so you will
> see edits
> in some strange places - but the locals are in this case very aware
> of what we
> are doing.
>

>> Would be good to have this on the wiki.
> and quickly!

I have now added it to the Vandalism wiki page [1]i. Do please 'watch'
that wiki page and let's continue the conversation by finessing the
vandalism page with discussion on the vandalism talk page. I have
created a new category 'Counter vandalism' [2] (previous called 'anti-
vandalism') for all pages relating to vandalism response.

As a general comment can we please start using the wiki for more
conversations - talk is now so busy most of the time that I don't even
read it and much of the detail could be handled with much more
precision using the wiki.

There is a WikiCleanup project[3] that aims to get the wiki into a
better state with better categories, linkage, titles and content! Do
please join us because it is a big but very important job.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vandalism
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Counter-vandalism
[3] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Cleanup

Regards,