[talk-au] bus_stop further details

Hugh Barnes list.osm at hughbris.com
Thu Sep 10 14:22:43 BST 2009

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:28:02 +1000
Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Hugh Barnes<list.osm at hughbris.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Any objections (from anyone) to adding these to
> >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dbus_stop ?
> >>

> > Yep, hold your horses. There's been some excellent work by the
> > transit list people I need to research a little more to see where
> > it's at. It builds on this:
> >
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/unified_stoparea
> >
> > but I think there is a tidier page somewhere.
>
> This one perhaps?
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Stop_Place

Yes. Not sure of the status of that (it also lived at [1] and [2]), but
it was widely supported by transit boffins on that list. That said, it's
probably a wholesale change that should be done as a project over al
of Brisbane, if at all. I haven't done any tagging to it, but I think
it's a good scheme we should adopt. (This is a good place to start
reading more: http://blog.geofabrik.de/?p=23)

Back to your original query, which was, if I got it right, should you
add features like benches, shelter, and bins to the bus stop wiki page?

OK, well there's the usual obvious "it's a wiki" thing. I'll spare you
that. Certainly others have documented the features you're talking
about all over the place, but curiously not there. These are some
notes I made ages ago which I don't necessarily agree with any more:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Hubne/Notes/Bus_stops#Features

I found plenty of others when I researched this originally.

Putting the "stop area" proposal aside, should things like rubbish bins
be separate nodes? Most of the stops I've tagged haven't been done like
this, but David Dean helped me see the light. Bins are useful for
everyone, not just bus stop users. Also, they are more likely to render
or be detected if we use the most common form (though arguably that's
tagging for the renderer, I think it's more like a fortunate side
effect).

Shelter and light are properties of the stop itself, so I'd keep 'em
with the "stop" node. BTW I've been made aware that "lit=yes" is a more
standard way to express illumination of any object since I made that
wiki page.

Maybe a seat is useful to non-travellers occasionally, but it seems
too integral to the stop to be a separate node.

Um, anyway, just wanted you to be a bit more informed before deciding
what action to take. :~)

Cheers

[1]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Oxomoa/Public_transport_schema