[talk-au] bus_stop further details

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 06:19:22 BST 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 2:15 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/9/11 Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com>:
>
> > Yeah I know what you mean. But when the waste_basket is bolted to the
> > bus_stop sign (often is in Brisbane), the nodes would be literally on
> > top of each other. And yes, bins are useful for everyone, but if
> > someone does a POI search, the application would just need to retrieve
> > amenity=waste_basket as well as waste_basket=yes nodes.
>
> Unless waste_basket=yes is an "approved" tag the likelihood of it
> being searched by anyone not using the tag is almost nil

Hence the question about whether to put it on the wiki. And I don't
particularly care if anyone uses it right now (otherwise that would be
tagging for POI-searching-software), as long as it's semantically
correct and is the best way to tag a waste_basket that is bolted to a
bus_stop sign.

I guess this is one specific case of the broader problem of what to do
when two separate entities are co-located (i.e. nodes would be right
on top of each other). In this case I guess you could use
highway=bus_stop *and* amenity=waste_basket (i.e. share a single
node), but this becomes a problem when you want to tag two things with
the same key, e.g. amenity=bench *and* amenity=shelter.