[talk-au] Our own satellite imagery?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 13:15:39 BST 2009

2009/9/13 Graeme Wilson <wanderer55 at live.com.au>:
> It says that the Landsat images are taken from 440 miles up, which is a lot
> more that I had thought. I presumed they were from about 160 miles or so.

Weather doesn't need the same accuracy, plus they would orbit slower.

> Having fresh data is usefull when you want to draw in a new railway line
> like the one from Robina to Varsity Lakes on the Gold Coast. All I have been
> able to see so far is that there are two tracks, it does go underground for
> something like 300 metres or so and it hugs the Pacific Hwy. I only use
> Potlatch so cant render railway lines (or cant figure out how to).

It's worth learning JOSM for the ability to zoom in on sat imagery.
Who knows maybe potlatch can lock sat imagery zoom by now.

> There are Low Earth Orbiting weather satellites whizzing around at about 160
> miles altitude, which is what I was referring to earlier, operating around
> 137 MHz, but the images are modulated onto an audio carrier, so in reality,
> it is very optimistic to expect to get much detail from them.

There is also this site:

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/scripts/sseop/photo.pl?mission=ISS016&roll=E&frame=22759