[talk-au] Magpie nesting and swooping areas

Neil Penman ianaf4you at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 14 11:00:11 BST 2009

I got whacked on the back of the head while mapping at the weekend.  I was just writing down the name of a park in Glenroy when it hit me.  At first I thought it was one of the locals so it was a bit of a relief to see the magpie fly off. Unfortunately i wasn't on my bike so no helmet, lots of blood.

I think they are intelligent birds which is why some are real nasty and some never attack.  The ones that do seem to do it for sport and its the same ones year after year.

The following website is a much cooler way of representing assaults, avian or otherwise http://sanfrancisco.crimespotting.org/#lon=-122.438&hours=0-23&zoom=13&dtend=2009-08-25T13:34:36-07:00&lat=37.760&dtstart=2009-08-14T12:59:49-07:00&types=AA,Mu,Ro,SA,DP,Na,Al,Pr,Th,VT,Va,Bu,Ar

You can see attacks by time of day, time of year.

regards

Neil