[talk-au] Railway Station names

swanilli swanilli at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 23:41:10 BST 2009

I have been puzzled by this too. When I first started using JOSM I was
getting errors to he effect that I had two places with the same name
(e.g. "Corrimal" the suburb and "Corrimal" the railway station. I then
changed a few to XXXX railway station but my impression is that most
in OSM have only the name and not the "railway station" descriptor. I
have since reverted the ones I changed.

A little non-Oz searching reveals that in the UK stations have only
the place name (e.g. "Bath Spa"). In Switzerland some stations have
the descriptor "Bahnhof". In Paris Metro stations have no descriptor
but the main intercity stations are prefixed e.g. "Gare du Nord"

The station names without descriptor are what NSW CityRail uses in
timetables and on signs The only problem I can see with omitting the
descriptor is possible ambiguity with GPS searches but my GPS (Oregon
300) does not seem to have this problem. If I search for Corrimal the
only "straight" entry I get (e.g. without an added street name) is
Corrimal railway station, so "Corrimal" = "Corrimal railway station.