[talk-au] More on the survey tag

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Thu Sep 24 04:54:01 BST 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:23:01 +1000
Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If Mark wants to use source=gps rather than source=survey, because he
> feels it conveys a different meaning, then in the spirit of using "any
> tags you like", I think he should be free to do so.

Yes, use any tags you like except where there is already one to cover the situation.  RTFW (read the full wiki) first paragraph of the Map_Features page says:

"This page contains a core recommended feature set and corresponding tags."

Consistency is more important than if he feels like it conveys a different meaning.

Did Mark go to these locations note what was there and therefore survey what he put in osm, it appears he did.  Therefore it is source=survey.  A physical survey.

If he want's to amplify what was entered then maybe survey=gps is the way to go or "note=this survey was done by gps"

--
Cheers
Ross