[talk-au] More on the survey tag

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Thu Sep 24 05:07:49 BST 2009

> If source=GPS (or source=gps) is unallowable, then why is it a preset
> in Potlatch?

No idea, whoever wrote the presets for potlatch probably thinks it's a good idea but did not read the wiki.

> I'd prefer to stick to the guidelines, rather than making up tags - as
> long as I know what the guidelines actually are!

Then RTFW, it's on the map features page and source=survey is "a core recommended feature set and corresponding tag" and states:

source | survey | gpx track or other physical survey

If you feel that it needs to be amplified that the survey is from gps then add "survey=gps" or "note=survey by gps", this is the intent of the "add your own tags".

But most would understand that it's from a gps survey rather than using theodolite/compass and chain/etc

--
Cheers
Ross