[talk-au] The source tag [Was] More on the survey tag

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Thu Sep 24 06:10:51 BST 2009

If we are being consistent then we probably need to have a look at the whole of the source key.

Currently at http://map-data.bigtincan.com/tagwatch for ways there are the following tags:

 survey(50853) ABS_2006(33994) yahoo(27991) PGS(6468) yahoo_imagery(6229) GPS(4471) MMBW(3881) landsat(3863)
 extrapolation (1885) Yahoo Imagery(1870) image(1118) GPS trace(862) survey;Yahoo(591) surveyed(577) knowledge(453)
 knowledge;Yahoo(257) yahoo_images(256) audio(187) yahoo_maps(152) local_knowledge(133) GPS Track(120) yahoo maps(116)
 approximation(103) aerial_photography/survey(101) photo(98) GPS survey(95) interpolation(89) lansat(82)
 yahoo_imagery;survey(69) yahoo trace(67)

some of these occur because a way has been combined using potlatch eg survey;Yahoo or yahoo_imagery;survey.  JOSM does not do this as it ask's you to resolve the conflict when combining ways.

My opinion is that survey should override any image tracing (I know there have been several discussions on this but lets just let it stand at the moment).

So these should have been corrected by the author at the time, so has the whole of the way been surveyed or have they just combined a part of it with a section already entered by tracing from yahoo?

Why is there "GPS", "GPS trace" and "GPS Track"?

Also yahoo, yahoo_imagery, yahoo imagery, yahoo_maps, yahoo maps, yahoo trace, yahoo_images. These should be all Yahoo as that is the base data that the source came from, it does not mater if its maps or images and we know it's been traced.

Where did the aerial_photography come from?  The intent of the source tag is:

"The purpose of the source tag is to help with the verification of data in OSM.

If a particular source is later found to infringe copyright (eg some source that was believed to be OK is later discovered or ruled to be copyrighted) then it would be possible to easily remove all OSM data originating from that source."

so who's aerial_photography is it?

So we need to clean up several of these:

I'd suggest all yahoo* are changed to Yahoo, it does not need more than that and when entering new info from Yahoo just use Yahoo.

*;survey survey;* where ways have been combined by potlatch need to be corrected to either all survey or split to show what's surveyed and what's yahoo etc.

surveyed be changed to survey this to me is what the author probably intended but entered incorrect info.

--
Cheers
Ross