[talk-au] Our own satellite imagery?

Babstar debian-list at blueturtles.com
Sun Sep 27 02:42:03 BST 2009

John Smith wrote:
> 2009/9/27 terryc <terryc at woa.com.au>:
>
>> John Smith wrote:
>>

>>> This gives us some basic specs to figure out what we'd need either to
>>> build or buy one, combined with a HD camera and low enough to the
>>> ground we wouldn't need to worry about clouds etc.
>>>
>> For comparison, you really should compare buying/renting your own
>> aircraft and flying it around Australia. This is where the detail aerial
>> images that are behind google come from. That name as the bottom is the
>> company that stitched them together.
>>

> If we had a UAV blimp capable of operating in some moderate wind
> speeds it should be possible to program it to do overlapping areas,
> possibly a lot cheaper than sat imagery.
>
> Sydney is 1788 sq km according to wikipedia at $12/sq km comes out at
> about $21,000 which is only a small area of NSW let alone Australia.

One thing to consider is that the photography won't actually need to
cover the *entire* state.  Given the way most rural towns work, it would
just need the point-to-point connections to cover the important roads
between towns as well as the towns themselves.  This vastly reduces the
area required to get the most important features.
    I am in a position to be able to the flying if needed for free,
however the majority of the cost is for the hire of the aircraft.
The biggest issue is how to mount the camera equipment in the aircraft
to get suitable images.  I could do some further investigations if this
was a path we were likely to go down.
> Also something just occurred to me, the imagery could possibly be
> licensed to others to further fund the project.
>
> _
This was my thoughts as well.

--
Babstar