[talk-au] Our own satellite imagery?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 02:50:24 BST 2009

2009/9/27 Babstar <debian-list at blueturtles.com>:
> One thing to consider is that the photography won't actually need to cover
> the *entire* state.  Given the way most rural towns work, it would just need
> the point-to-point connections to cover the important roads between towns as
> well as the towns themselves.  This vastly reduces the area required to get
> the most important features.

That assuming we don't want to do most/all of Australia so we can plot
land uses on maps too...

>   I am in a position to be able to the flying if needed for free, however
> the majority of the cost is for the hire of the aircraft. The biggest issue
> is how to mount the camera equipment in the aircraft to get suitable images.
>  I could do some further investigations if this was a path we were likely to
> go down.

Judging by the UK experiment into this I don't think hiring a plane
would be the most cost effective option, also the only way to do
proper photos without modifying an aircraft is to do sharp banking so
this would limit the amount of useful time in the air and
co-ordinating the collection of imagery etc.