[talk-au] Our own satellite imagery?

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Mon Sep 28 09:17:28 BST 2009

> A cheaper alternative would be building our own using this open source project:
>
> http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Solar-Storm
>
> They claim 145mins flight time on this plane, which potentially is
> 8-10sq km, although with enough spare batteries you could do spend
> entire day and potentially cover 40-50 sq km...

I like it.

Use the autopilot from here:

http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Main_Page

with one of these:

http://www.rcwarehouse.com.au/productinfo/?prod_id=GPMA1180++

and one of these cameras

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230359281511

as these have interchangable lens,

and we'd have a UAV capable of aerial photography.

Capture the transmitted video, at the base station, as single frame with lat/long/hdop encoded in the exif data with little or no need for manual georeferencing.

Program a staggered line ahead (roads) or grid (towns) search pattern and you could cover most rural roads and towns in a short time.

Sounds like fun and the airframe is cheap enough to have a couple for when you break it.

Now if I could just get the auto pilot to work on the C337 then I would not have to hand fly it all the time.

--
Cheers
Ross