[talk-au] ABS Data (was Re: More on the survey tag)

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Mon Sep 28 11:51:00 BST 2009

On 27/09/2009, at 4:37 PM, John Smith wrote:
> I came across a perfect example of how good and bad the PGS data can
> be at the same time and when it makes sense to use both PGS and ABS
> data to make a better coast line:
>
> http://sautter.com/map/?zoom=13&lat=-23.75251&lon=151.26423&layers=00000BTFFFFF

I'd been doing exactly that along the Tasmanian coastline, and I know
others have as well (I think swampwallaby has done most of the
Tasmanian stuff I didn't do).

In many places the ABS and PGS weave back and forward across each
other, suggesting that the ABS data isn't less accurate in those
places than the PGS stuff. In the places where it does diverge, you
can hopefully find out why by looking at satellite imagery (if Yahoo
has any in the area). A lot of the divergences I found was either
things like the above, or where PGS was following the water-sand
boundary but ABS was following the sand-tree boundary along a beach.
There were a couple of places I couldn't figure out if there was any
reason for the divergence so I left it untouched there.

I don't know if any of the others have been doing it, but I also took
the chance to add river stubs where they were obvious, and use
campsites with names like "X creek" or "Y bay" to name nearby
features :)

I assume people have been doing the same along various bits of the
mainland too.