[talk-au] Mini Roundabouts.

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Sat Apr 24 22:31:00 BST 2010

On 25/04/10 00:33, Ross Scanlon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know I'm probably preaching to the converted but...
>
> I've been having a look at tagwatch and have noticed a massive increase in the number of mini roundabouts, in the past couple of months.

A useful and timely reminder Ross.

> Mind you I've replaced about 800 of them over the last week or too.

Feeling overwhelmed, I'm much less enthusiastic about correcting them.

> Any way one example is this:
>
> http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.654749,153.059552&z=20&t=k
>
> This is definitely not a mini_roundabout even if we had such in Australia which has previously been agreed we don't have them.
>

> I've also notice mini_roundabouts being used for this:
>
> http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.651116,153.059909&z=20&t=k
>
> This is highway=turning_circle not a mini_roundabout.
>

> Also I've found mini_roundabouts for this:
>
> http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.67619,153.16911&z=20&t=k
>
> I'd suggest this should be traffic_calming=island

I think that's a good suggestion.

> The trafffic_calming=island and highway=turning_circle can not be roundabouts as the roundabout road rules do not apply here, even when the turning circle has a centre island.

I know of one turning circle (with island) which is a true roundabout
according to the roadside signage on the entry:

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-35.231702,149.078989&z=20&t=k

I've now put a note to that effect on it, lest someone might change it
to highway-turning_circle.

John H