[talk-au] White Cross painted on road - signifies what?

Chris Barham cbarham at pobox.com
Tue Apr 27 01:58:10 BST 2010

Hi,
Whilst out getting GPS traces north of Brisbane I've noticed quite a few
roads, usually at the end of a rural road, there will be a cross in white
paint on the centre of road, sometimes with a bolt in the centre of the
cross.  Each arm of the cross is about a metre long.

Anyone know what these are for?

I saw another example yesterday on Mt Brisbane Road out by Mt Pleasant, this
one not at the end of the road, but close to where I imagine the Mt Mee
Section of D'Aguilar National Park boundary would be.

I initially thought it might be to signify the end of council
responsibility/ownership of the road, but then I wondered if perhaps they
were for overhead (helicopter) geo-referencing?

Cheers,
Chris