[talk-au] Wikifiddling

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 11:12:12 BST 2010

On 28 April 2010 11:05, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I don't see how you reached that conclusion.
> >>
> > Because this is a public list and what I would have written in
> explanation is
> > either rude or possibly defamatory.
> > I read the rss feed from the wiki changes and I have watched recent
> events.
> > Nothing more will I say.
>
> While I'm privy to some of Liz's grievances, the bigger problem is
> Aussie specific information being drowned out with all the other
> information. Unless you knew where to find information about Aussie
> mapping parties, you won't easily find it.
>
> The same goes for other Aussie specific information, it takes time and
> effort to drill through links to find things, only to find out someone
> has merged in a bunch of information from other unrelated countries so
> on and so forth.

Hello,

just to add my 2 cents on the topic, I don't think it is an Australian
related problem in itself. I would say that the problem is exacerbated by
the fact that you share the same language as other countries. It is common
to see some people to try to update the pages according to what is present
internationally.
I believe that a separate wiki can be useful at cases, if not only for the
case that it can be potentially be easier to search and to work from it.
Several other communities are thinking about the same thing in order to have
something not as intimidating in the end.
I do believe though that at least people try to keep a minimum of Australian
specific page on the main wiki and try to get everything synchronised in the
end.
I personally don't use the wiki so I am not going to make much comments
about what is going on, but I can see why it would be very annoying to
someone, especially while they are some very country specific elements
sometimes, and that by definition tags are not absolute but relative to the
country where you live.

Emilie Laffray