[talk-au] Wikifiddling

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Wed Apr 28 13:25:42 BST 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 11:12 +0100, Emilie Laffray wrote:

> I personally don't use the wiki so I am not going to make much
> comments about what is going on...

Just out of interest, if you dont use the wiki to figure out what tags
to use, how DO you decide how to tag items?  Do you just make things up,
or are you referencing some other non-wiki source, which may also need
to be kept up-to-date with Aussie specific comments.

> but I can see why it would be very annoying to someone, especially
> while they are some very country specific elements sometimes, and that
> by definition tags are not absolute but relative to the country where
> you live.

The tags can be whatever values you wish to put in, but only the agreed
upon tags are rendered currently.  If someone in Germany tags
highway=autobahn or someone in Italy tags it as highway=superstrada
(relative to the country where they live), it wont render.  Just like if
someone decides to tag a way as highway=dirt-road, sure you CAN tag it
like that, but it wont render how it would if it were tagged properly.

David