[talk-au] Wikifiddling

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 14:34:48 BST 2010

On 28 April 2010 13:25, David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 11:12 +0100, Emilie Laffray wrote:
>
> > I personally don't use the wiki so I am not going to make much
> > comments about what is going on...
>
> Just out of interest, if you dont use the wiki to figure out what tags
> to use, how DO you decide how to tag items?  Do you just make things up,
> or are you referencing some other non-wiki source, which may also need
> to be kept up-to-date with Aussie specific comments.

I don't make things up. I learn from existing features from the map, from
other contributors and finally from tools like osmdoc or tagwatch. I do
check occasionnally the wiki from time to time, but I don't spend my life on
it. In addition, all my major contributions have been road network based
from the French cadastre in my home town, and coastline fixing around the
world.

> The tags can be whatever values you wish to put in, but only the agreed
> upon tags are rendered currently.  If someone in Germany tags
> highway=autobahn or someone in Italy tags it as highway=superstrada
> (relative to the country where they live), it wont render.  Just like if
> someone decides to tag a way as highway=dirt-road, sure you CAN tag it
> like that, but it wont render how it would if it were tagged properly.

You are making assumptions about how I work which have absolutely no basis.
You can do things without necessarily having to read in detail the wiki,
while keeping up with more recent tags and methods through social
interaction. It is not just a matter of who is reading the most of the wiki.
In addition, I tend to care more about the data than the map itself, and
that's why I am using tools like osmdoc and tagwatch to make sure that when
I use a tag it is already being used.
I have some contribution on the wiki namely the technical aspect of the
Corine Land Cover import made in France with all the sql.
Plus John has been making some very valid comments too on which I agree.

Emilie Laffray