[talk-au] Abuse

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 15:35:55 BST 2010

On 29 April 2010 23:29, Voon-Li Chung <chungvl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new on the mailing list, so it would be appreciated if you could
> forgive some of the newbie / naive responses. Is anyone else slowly
> getting angrier about the vandalism :( ?

The problem isn't the vandalism, it's bound to happen, it happens all
the time on wikipedia, why would it not happen on 'the wikipedia of
maps'...

> Looking at their changes, I don't think they've made any major
> contribution to the database.

Before most others will help you directly, especially on the main
talk/dev lists, they will want to know if you contacted the author of
the changes to find out more or less if it was an accident and if they
also think their changes will be reverted. Although it's obvious in
this case the user probably won't help or it might even be counter
productive giving the person a buzz that they're getting to you.

You can send a request to the talk list for people that do bulk
reverts to revert the change set, although if the user keeps making
bogus edits the problem will definitely need escalating to some kind
of automation to remove.

So the question is, do you think you can take care of the problem
yourself, do you need some help or do you want someone else to deal
with it completely?