[talk-au] Mini Roundabouts.

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 04:55:23 BST 2010

Andrew wrote:
>However, once you add an
>island and kerbing, they become a full roundabout, and need (IMHO) to be
>fully drawn and tagged appropriately. That's how I've been doing them
>anyway.

Not sure what the technical definition of "island" or "concrete
circle" is. These particular examples are ever so slightly raised
(perhaps 15cm) and have a slight kerb. If we want to define a
mini_roundabout as one that is strictly only painted (not sure I've
seen such a thing here), then fair enough - but let's put in in the
wiki. "Roundabouts should be drawn out in full" is not sufficient.

>> 2) The roads you've mapped out don't even follow the aerial photos -
>> they cut across people's front lawns.
>
> Must have missed resizing these lot done now and I did not map any of the other roads they were alread there.

Ok, fair enough.

>> 3) Why an octagon shape? Ugh. At least use the "tidy" function in JOSM
>> or Potlatch to make them circles.
>
> An octagon is the smallest number of nodes to accurately describe a circle.  And they have been tidied using JOSM's circle function.

Not sure that makes sense, but I accept the explanation that you don't
need many nodes for most sensible zoom levels. It's only really in
something like Potlatch at high zoom levels that it's noticeable.
(Although aesthetically it still seems right to use more nodes, but
that's probably just a question of taste.)

> Having just spent 3 months on the road collecting over 9000km's of gps traces which have already been incorporated into osm, due to problems with our vehcile we've got 6 months of while we wait for repairs so how I spend that time is totally up to me.

Indeed.

Steve