[talk-au] Mini Roundabouts.

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Fri Apr 30 06:48:34 BST 2010

> I just had a quick look and noticed that too.  In the small area linked,
> I counted 9 roundabouts.  Turning them into a circle, has given them 18
> nodes each.  Given that each round-about has 4 entry/exit points, this
> means for a diamond shape, youre using no extra nodes, for an octagon
> youre using 36 extra nodes and the current method (18 nodes) has created
> 126 extra nodes in this area.
>
> While I agree that its useful to represent curves and bends properly in
> the traffic flow, this seems a bit excessive.  Youre going from having 9
> roundabouts with 36 nodes, to having 9 roundabouts using 162 nodes, for
> no reason other than so it renders a little bit nicer?

Not me.  I had only put in 8 nodes at each.  Only add additional at larger roundabouts or where I need to have increased information.

> One question I do have though, is why put the roundabouts in, and not
> split up the entry/exit ways?  From looking at the nearmap imagery, the
> entry/exit lanes are divided at each round-about.  There also appears to
> be a lot of footpaths in the area if youve got plenty of time to kill :)

I would not bother with these small islands bigger islands yes.  This is also in line with the osm wiki where don't split roads at small islands meant as pedestrian refuges at intersections.

Gives someone else something to do.

--
Cheers
Ross