[talk-au] NSW Parish Maps

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 02:58:36 BST 2010

I took a quick look at some of the maps available at
http://parishmaps.lands.nsw.gov.au/ and there is some information
there that is not mapped (like school names, park names... etc.). I
was going to use them as a mapping source. Has anyone else used them
for this?

Legality wise, I would only use maps that are "dated" as prior to 1960
(which most are), but I still don't know if this passes all
requirements (because they may not have been "published" until much
later, I'm not sure).

Even so, should copying from these maps be avoided and left to
surveying the area? A large chunk of the street names and stuff was
taken from out of copyright commercial street directories... so I
don't see why this would be any different in that sense.

Oh and I've collated a list of URLs of all the mrsid files (and an
index) they offer if anyone wanted to mass download them.