[talk-au] FYI I removed a whole bunch on nodes where ways existed for the same object.

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Mon Aug 30 13:30:55 BST 2010

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:15:12 +1000
Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> FYI. As per http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_practice#One_feature.2C_one_OSM-object
> I've removed a whole bunch of nodes where the same feature was mapped
> out as a way. I made sure not to loose any tags in the process.
> Changeset http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/5634963.
>
> I checked some of the other QA tools at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Quality_Assurance, but of course it
> would be good if there was some central framework for having QA checks
> run centrally on OSM servers. This way one could get updates when say
> a node and closed way are in the same location with the same tags.

Do you really think this was a good idea before discussing it on the list?

This has been discussed previously and it was decided that currently we would leave both as not all renderers and searches will work correctly on a way as opposed to a node.

The recommendation is only if the item is not already there, not to go and delete items that have both already in place.

The statement that you've ensured no tags were lost does not mean that the changes you have made are correct as an example the source tag for "Campbell Primary School" is now "data.australia.gov.au" where this was correct for the node but not for the way.

I'd suggest we revert this change set and let those who have added the new or additional data make the decision on whether to remove the nodes.

--
Cheers
Ross