[talk-au] a mapping conflict in Sydney, help appreciated

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Mon Dec 6 04:20:38 GMT 2010

On Sun, 2010-12-05 at 18:43 +1100, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> I think that this
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/6545161 should be
> reverted on the grounds that my source tags were deleted with no
> better replacement...

> Previously I asked this user directly about data that appeared very
> much like that from Google Maps, they said they may have copied
> directly from a Google Map...

If you check the history of the original node, youll see that it came
from ABS data.  Was there a reason you deleted the original ABS data,
and replaced it?

The original element was tagged as natural=coastline, the one you added,
removes natural=coastline in-favour of place=locality.

Did you check when you deleted the natural=coastline way from ABS data,
and replaced it with your source-tagged way, that it didnt break the
coastline data?  Maybe the revert from this user was correct.

I also notice the node you added with the source tag, was not part of
the Sydney Harbour National Park relation, which the original node was.

I think theres been a bit of data-tampering on both sides here, so it
would be good to get both sides of the story to know who did what and
why.

Cheers
David