[talk-au] mapping marsh at the edge of a bay

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 09:01:24 GMT 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting question - to be honest I'm finding it a bit hard to
> understand your exact situation ("moved the edge of the water...in
> towards the centre of the bay"?) But I don't know for sure what the
> coastline should represent, so I'd be interested to hear opinions on
> this too.

I'm thinking that if we reserve coastline for ways that are on the
coast ie. ocean on one side, land on the other. (I know this is
objective, but...), then at least for this case, there is no coastline
to worry about. Only the bay edge.

Yeh, the edge of the water polygon could be at the land boundary
(between A and B on my diagram), or between B and C.

> I think a similar example is here:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=potlatch2&lat=-38.298693&lon=145.199326&zoom=18
>
> Steve

Your example is probably the same if that land between the water and
the admin boundary is some kind of wetland.

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 2:46 PM,  <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> I usually map these as in the second example, ie coastline along the water
> to marsh/mangrove boundary then separate area for the marsh/mangroves.
>
> I'd also suggest that the treed area should be natural=wetland
> wetland=mangrove rather than natural=marsh.

Sounds good.

Out of interest, how do you know it is mangrove and not any of these?

    * wetland=swamp - An area of waterlogged forest, with dense vegetation.
    * wetland=saltmarsh - Coastal marshes, exposed to tidal inundation
with sea water, therefore characterised by herbaceous plants with
special adaptations to saline environments.
    * wetland=mangrove - Mangroves, tidal forests of salt-tolerant
mangrove trees, forming along tropical coastlines.

Thank you.