[talk-au] mapping marsh at the edge of a bay

4x4falcon info at 4x4falcon.com
Thu Dec 23 11:19:58 GMT 2010

> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 2:46 PM,<info at 4x4falcon.com>  wrote:
>> I usually map these as in the second example, ie coastline along the water
>> to marsh/mangrove boundary then separate area for the marsh/mangroves.
>>
>> I'd also suggest that the treed area should be natural=wetland
>> wetland=mangrove rather than natural=marsh.
>
> Sounds good.
>
> Out of interest, how do you know it is mangrove and not any of these?
>
>      * wetland=swamp - An area of waterlogged forest, with dense vegetation.
>      * wetland=saltmarsh - Coastal marshes, exposed to tidal inundation
> with sea water, therefore characterised by herbaceous plants with
> special adaptations to saline environments.
>      * wetland=mangrove - Mangroves, tidal forests of salt-tolerant
> mangrove trees, forming along tropical coastlines.
>
> Thank you.

Hi,

What's there is trees so can not be saltmarsh,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbaceous_plant

Definitely not swamp, as it's not continuously waterlogged, as in tea
tree swamps.

Mangroves are not restricted to tropical coastlines.

http://www.ssec.org.au/our_environment/our_bioregion/towra/activities/venturers_report.htm

Plus it's been a while since I was there but I remember mangroves around
that area.

Also comparing them with here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=potlatch2&lat=-21.13349&lon=149.19342&zoom=18

and I know these are definitely mangroves.  They look very similar/same
to me.

Cheers
Ross