[talk-au] How to undo saved edits?

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Wed Feb 3 06:45:49 GMT 2010

Arie Paap wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM, John Henderson <snowgum at gmx.com> wrote:
>> The thread on unintentional damage is timely.
>>
>> I find I may have deleted a way.
>>
>> I was cleaning up duplicated ways, and may have deleted too much in JOSM
>> and then saved the result.
>>
>> I suspect that the gap in the foot track at this location might be my
>> doing: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-32.8991&lon=116.1585&zoom=14
>>
>> How do I determine if there was a way there earlier in the day?
>>
>> And if there was, how do I restore it?
>
> I have not found out how to do this in JOSM. However Potlatch exposes
> deleted ways:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potlatch/Primer#Undoing_mistakes
> So I use that to undelete the way and then continue editing (or switch
> back to JOSM)

Thanks heaps for that advice, which I've saved.

It turns out that there was nothing there anyway, which is a big sigh of
relief.  But I did get the duplicates I deleted a little further south
to show up again using this method.

>> I was adding a relation to cover the Bibbulmun Track when I came across
>> an area with extensive duplication of ways, which I've been fixing as I
>> go along.  I've been working from south (Albany) northwards (towards Perth).
>>
>> I looked at the history, without it making much sense to me.  The
>> changeset ID in question is 3779618.
>
> I'm glad you raised this. This area really baffled me when I noticed
> it a little while ago. I really didn't know how to resolve all the
> duplication or how to approach the user in question - they have
> obviously contributed a fair bit to the map but all the myid tags and
> duplicated ways are odd.
>
> As an example for the list:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-34.6593&lon=117.5389&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF
> The Muirs Highway has been duplicated (and upgraded to trunk which
> also doesn't seem right to me).

I just tread very carefully in JOSM, tentatively deleting ways to see if
there's another underneath, and restoring needed things again with ctrl-Z.

I remember once needing to delete about 6 duplicates until I got to the
last one.

In the case of the Bibbulmun Track in this area, it gets complicated
because the ends of the duplicated ways don't always coincide.

John H