[talk-au] Canberra - last white spot on the map

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 00:45:58 GMT 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM, John Henderson <snowgum at gmx.com> wrote:
>> Is the name actually "Woolworths Renmark", though? If not, it
>> shouldn't be in the name tag...(right?)
>
> Strictly correct.  But finding the right name for the particular outlet
> isn't necessarily easy.  Searching www.abr.business.gov.au for
> "Woolworths" shows variations on "Woolworths Petrol", "Caltex
> Woolworths" and some where the location forms part of the registered name.

I think this is the difference between a directory and a map. A
directory should probably have the legally correct name. A map should
have the most useful, locally appropriate name. There are plenty of
shops whose registered name is meaningless because it's completely
different to the signage out front.

Certainly, the registered name is an objective fact which no one can
dispute, which has some advantages. But if it's useless, then IMHO
better to choose something as neutral as possible that will actually
impart some information.

Case in point, my local IGA is technically called "Renaissance", and
that's what appears on my credit card statements. I don't know what
their technical registered name is, but "IGA Renaissance" or "IGA St
Kilda" would be much better names than simply "Renaissance".

Steve