[talk-au] Rewrote section

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Fri Feb 5 02:56:43 GMT 2010

Steve Bennett wrote:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Australian_Tagging_Guidelines&action=edit&section=25
>
> I think it was overly optimistic about a clear distinction between
> "LCN" and "RCN" networks in Australia. Feel free to discuss, edit
> further, etc.

Agreed, this is a grey area.

The crossing of a council boundary is an interesting measure of whether
a route is local or regional.  Of course someone's going to find a very
short unimportant cycleway which crosses a council boundary.  I think
it's a very useful measure nevertheless.

By parity of reasoning, should a cycleway which crosses a state border
be regarded national?  Like the one which crosses from Canberra (ACT)
into Queanbeyan (NSW) on this bridge:
http://www.osm.org/?lat=-35.343726&lon=149.213133

The Mawson Trail is wholly within SA, but at 900km well exceeds the "as
long as 200km" guideline for regional.

I'm sorry that I don't have answers, only questions.

John H