[talk-au] Canberra - last white spot on the map

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Sun Feb 7 05:33:03 GMT 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 12:40 +1000, John Smith wrote:
> On 7 February 2010 12:31, David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au> wrote:
> > Well, some of them allow for say 4c if you have a docket and another 4c
> > if you purchase items instore, so maybe fuel:instore_discount=yes
>
> Which most of the time due to the extra mark up on products isn't worth it :)
>
> > I think fuel:ethanol_discount=yes could be included in the list as well,
> > to distinguish between those who profit from ethanol sales and those who
> > pass on the government rebate.
>
> How do you tell which ones do or don't?

The Shell at Marulan on the Hume Highway is one good example of both
these cases.  Its remote so theres not much other option to buy
elsewhere, so the mark-up is for convenience of being 50km from the
nearest supermarket.

They have 4c coles voucher plus 4c instore, however last time I
travelled past they didnt pass on the ethanol rebate.  You can spot
those who pass on the ethanol rebate, as the ethanol fuel is cheaper
than regular unleaded.

Also, as I mentioned in an earlier email, you also come across issues
with stores being co-branded but not necessarily accepting the brands
gift vouchers and/or discounts, for example ampol/caltex both accept
starcard payments, but only caltex-woolworths cobranded outlets accept a
wish giftcard.