[talk-au] Servos

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Tue Feb 9 01:10:27 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 10:48 +1000, John Smith wrote:
> On 9 February 2010 10:37, David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au> wrote:
> > Thats probably a good thing.  'skills' also includes knowing how the OSM
> > licence works, and clicking on the 'terms of use' link on the page you
> > linked...
>
> Except copyright law in Australia since the IceTV ruling is unlikely
> to cover simple databases of fact.

Oh, thanks for that.  I didnt realise that OSM had moved to Australia,
and was now governed by Australian law.

If there were any court rulings that changed our right to access/use
other peoples content, theres a lot better things to import than
woolworths locations, say for example copyrighted street centrelines.
Also what is this 'IceTV ruling'?  I provide you with an opinion and
details of why its so, you just say 'since XYZ ruling'.

What if theyve put an easter-egg into that 'database of fact'?  Suddenly
they can prove you took their entire dataset.

Another concern I have, is that if the law works one way, whats to stop
someone deriving a list of info from OSM, then adding it to their
project (google map-maker for example), then claiming that its okay
because "IceTV" says so.

David