[talk-au] Suburb boundaries

Arie Paap wildmyron at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 08:02:31 GMT 2010

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 6:31 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> While adding postcodes it looks like some people have incorrectly
> joined boundaries together, to make a single way for a stream/road
> etc, this has broken suburb boundaries in various areas.
>
> I emailed Franc the other day for a copy of osm files converted from
> the original shape file, but in the mean time I added a custom mapnik
> style sheet to display suburb boundaries, similar to the style sheet
> that displays postcode boundaries...
>
> http://maps.bigtincan.com/?layer=000B000000FF
>
> After making that, it looks worst than I first feared, with most of
> the NT missing in action, and large areas of other states missing too,
> not sure if this is just a config issue with the style sheet and/or
> boundaries slightly tagged wrong or someone screwing up the
> boundaries.
>
> I know some care about these so I hope to have OSM files up soon for
> them similar to the postcode files so that we can fix things up.

I've been trying to fix up some of the suburbs in Perth that are
missing on the suburb display map and running into some problems:
* Some of the relations seem to be completely missing.
* some boundaries seem to be duplicated (and shifted) and it's not
easy to tell which is the correct one.

I'd like to know if the .osm files with suburb data are available
somewhere. I have found the postcode files useful but they're missing
some of the boundaries where a two suburbs have the same postcode and
of course there aren't any relations.

TIA,

Arie.