[talk-au] repurcussions of IceTV decision

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Thu Feb 11 04:19:08 GMT 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 09:45 +1000, John Smith wrote:

> The majority of all OSM data has identifiable authors.

Doesnt all content have an identifiable author, or at least copyright
holder?  Unless its computer generated that is.

> Also there is debate over the creativity, the vector information may
> not be protected but meta information may be deemed a creative work,
> and without a court case it's merely speculation.

So how is this 'meta information' any different to 'fact'?  The meta
information might say a road has an incline or a service station sells
e10, but just because that is entered in by OSM users, it doesnt change
it from being fact to being a creative work.

Does this mean we'll likely be seeing many more mass imports from
people, now that the legal issues are fuzzy?  Doesnt this go against the
whole principle of OSM, being that its completely free of any possible
restrictions?

David