[talk-au] Suburb boundaries

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Tue Feb 16 15:36:14 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 17:32 +1000, Roy Wallace wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Perhaps admin boundaries need to be "locked" from editing until people
> >> have a certain amount of mapping under their belt and/or ask for the
> >> ability to add/edit/delete admin boundaries, this might prevent or at
> >> least reduce some of the accidents and new accounts being created to
> >> shift borders for the wrong reasons.
>
> I hope you mean that *editors* should be improved to help prevent
> these accidents? (which I think is an excellent idea)
>
> ...as opposed to the suggestion of appointing an authority to hand out
> various levels of editing authorisation (which I think is crazy).

I think theres merit to both sides of the argument.  Ive seen a few
areas that have been drastically changed by a new user who didnt
understand entirely what they were doing, but on the other hand, Ive
been mapping for over a year and though I never purposely touch suburb
boundaries, I have accidently changed (then fixed) them from time to
time.

I think it would be good to have some way to lock the boundaries (and as
has been suggested before, hiding the boundaries too).  While I think
its important that anyone should be able to edit the boundaries, I think
some/most changes to them are accidental and the user should have to
specify whether they wish to be able to make changes to boundaries, or
whether theyd rather the system protect itself from accidental changes
they might make.

David