[talk-au] tennis court land

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Feb 21 09:43:16 GMT 2010

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, John Smith wrote:
> On 21 February 2010 18:53, Craig Feuerherdt <craigfeuerherdt at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Things like this make me wonder about society. Once upon a time we would
> > have shared our resources or better still gone down to the local tennis
> > club for a bash.
>
> I was listening to some talk back radio show a while back and they
> were trying to promote tennis and they were claiming 90% of tennis
> courts had been "lost" to things like swimming pools, mostly private
> ones in cities etc.
>
> So I guess it depends where you are, but resources like this come and go.

I'm working on and off in Hay.
In the 60s they built an Olympic Pool and have never charged admission. I have
walked most of the streets and lanes of Hay and I have found one private pool.
Why have a pool to keep clean when you just take your togs and towel down to
the free one.
They've also got the river to swim in but that rates second best.
Now the pool is leaking and will have to be replaced, so the discussion is
about how they can afford to keep it free and have a heated pool as well.