[talk-au] Hiking tracks: foot=yes or foot=designated?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 07:12:38 GMT 2010

Hi all,
The Aus tagging guidelines suggest using "highway=path foot=yes":
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines

But surely "foot=designated" is the correct tag, particularly for
tracks which explicitly ban every other mode of transport.

However I should point out that "highway=path foot=designated" is
(according to mapnik at least) equivalent to "highway=footway" which
it says not to use...

Also, we don't seem to have any guidelines on the walking route
networks, so I've started something here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Bush_Walking_and_Cycling_Tracks

Not too important yet, but it would certainly be good to get all
walking tracks using route relations, and to be roughly consistent
about what is IWN/NWN/RWN/LWN.

Steve