[talk-au] Hiking tracks: foot=yes or foot=designated?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 07:22:46 GMT 2010

On 23 February 2010 17:12, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> But surely "foot=designated" is the correct tag, particularly for
> tracks which explicitly ban every other mode of transport.
>
> However I should point out that "highway=path foot=designated" is
> (according to mapnik at least) equivalent to "highway=footway" which
> it says not to use...

There is a few zealots, mostly in the euro-centric area of the world
that think highway=footway isn't "good enough" because it doesn't
indicate the legal standing. However highway=path proposal attempted
to make highway=footway redundent, but it was voted against. In the
mean time people have been running about "cleaning up" wiki
references, which most didn't agree to in the first place.

foot=designated just means that's the primary purpose, not that
everything else is disallowed, in this case I usually tag
highway=footway and the implication is bikes etc are disallowed.