[talk-au] local chapter stuff

Henk Hoff henk.hoff at osmfoundation.org
Tue Feb 23 21:14:41 GMT 2010

Guys,

It may be good to give also an update on the whole chapters thingy on this
mailing list.

First: the draft agreement you've been referring to is of the table. We had
a good discussion within the OSMF board about the organizational structure
of the Foundation. We concluded that this agreement did not fit nicely into
our thoughts of where we're heading with the Foundation.

So what are we working on now. Some highlights:
- LC is a separate entity and has it's own membership scheme.
- LC members are not official members of the Foundation (and can therefore
not vote on Foundation matters)
- LC is basically the representative of OSM in it's country/region
- Foundation is official publisher of the OSM database and licensee of the
data
- Foundation may (!) check on the books etc in order to check whether the LC
is not doing anything that could hurt the name and fame of OSM or the
Foundation.
- LC may use the name and logo of OSM

Hope this gives some clarity on the current situation with Local Chapters.

Cheers,
Henk Hoff
OpenStreetMap Foundation